Thursday, September 17, 2009

My Interview to IIMA for media cell article....

IIMA media group wanted to take interview of the students coming for ISEP. This may be published in one of the leading newpaper here. I participated in it. Here are the questions I was asked and my responses to them...

Why did you decide to pursue your exchange programme in India? *

I completed my education in India and worked with Essar Steel for 4 years before I decided to pursue MBA with Asian Institute of Management Philippines, which is one of the top ranked B-School in the Asia Pacific region. However, given a choice, I want to work in India again after my MBA. Being an emerging country with high economic growth, India has immense opportunities in store for MBA Graduates. My objective for pursuing MBA at Asian Institute of Management was to have a global perspective which I can bring with me when I work here in India. I would be graduating in December 2009 and would like to understand the market dynamics here in the 3 months before I apply for a job where I can implement the learnings during the MBA course to the best of my potential. This is the reason I chose to have my exchange programme in India.

Why did you choose IIMA? *

Once I decided to pursue exchange in India, IIMA was an obvious choice. There is no doubt in my mind that it is the Best B School in India. I knew coming to IIMA would give me an opportunity to study with the cream of India and would help me network with the students here who are tagged to be the future business leaders of the country. Although it was not easy to opt for IIMA as one had to be in the top 10% of the batch at AIM, but the efforts I put during my MBA course at AIM paid huge dividends and I finally got the opportunity to come to IIMA.

How has your experience in India been?

Having completed my entire education in Gujarat had given me the chance to travel parts of India generally and Gujarat particularly. However India is so rich in diversity with many cultures and beautiful places that it is almost impossible to experience India entirely. I have made friends from IIMA and other students who have come for exchange here and we have decided to explore as much places as we can whenever the hectic schedule at IIMA permits us.

How has your experience in IIMA been?

The experience at IIMA has been very enriching. Although it was not so difficult to adapt to the work load here as I have been habituated to it at AIM, but adapting to the new environment in terms of faculty and pedagogy was a bit demanding initially. I should thank the students at IIMA particularly who have helped me overcome any difficulty I had. They have been very approachable and have pro-actively tried to make us feel comfortable. There are enough ways in which you can be relieved of your stress as the environment at IIMA is very dynamic. You can play sports, get involved in some groups or just share entertainment material like songs and movies with the entire community whenever you want. Plus the best part at IIMA is the availability of good Indian food which I was largely missing at my institute.

How do you rate the different characteristics of IIMA?

As I have already mentioned the students here have been very approachable and helpful. Since day-1 they have made efforts to make me feel at home. I would not comment much on the quality of students as it is a well known fact how rigorous the entrance exam(CAT) and demanding the course structure at IIMA is. The facilities are quite good here with various recreational activities being available in the campus itself. The internet and the library facilities are world class. However with the soaring temperatures in Ahmedabad I would have liked if the institute can provide Air-Conditioners in the dorms. This would really make the life of students easy during the summers. Last but not the least the faculty here is World Class and it has been a great experience to learn from such faculty who is an expert in their domain.

What do you think makes IIMA special?

The one thing that I felt makes IIMA special is the tradition prevalent here and the camaraderie shared among the students. The juniors and seniors form a very good bond with each helping the other in whatever manner they can. Also most of the activities done inside the Campus are driven by students and I can clearly see how efficient a B School can be when the student community is highly empowered.

What is the thing about IIMA that you like the most? Dislike the most?

The students and the faculty is something I like the most here. I would not say the thing I dislike about IIMA but it’s the thing I dislike about Ahmedabad in general i.e the heat in Ahmedabad (even now it is quite hot). I would be very happy if the institute can provide some relief to the students in regard to this problem..

No comments:

Post a Comment